We read a lot of fanciful claims on the Internet about home remedies for fungus nails. We would never recommend putting Vic’s Vaporub on your feet — unless you want to feel intolerable burning pain on a sensitive part of the body. Nor would we ever recommend a useless cornmeal foot soak or using white iodine. Yet, we have seen some doctors recommended LYSOL spray as a viable way of killing bacteria in shoes. We have several problems with this advice.
For One, Lysol Is Full Of Toxic Chemicals!
The Daily Beast ranked Lysol disinfectant spray among their “Most Toxic Home-Cleaning Products.” According to the paper, potentially harmful ingredients include: ethyl alcohol, carbon dioxide, and triethanolamine. These chemicals are “suspected of causing cancer, developmental toxicity, reproductive toxicity, [and] respiratory toxicity.”
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services issues this warning about Lysol: “Hazard to humans and domestic animals. Causes eye irritation. Do not spray in eyes, on skin or on clothing…. May cause skin irritation upon prolonged or repeated contact…. If on skin, wash with plenty of soap and water. If irritation occurs or persists, get medical attention.” While it is only rated as a “slight risk,” it’s clearly stated that these chemicals should not be put on the skin.
Women from the 1920s through 1960s were encouraged to use Lysol as a feminine hygiene product and contraceptive. Instead, they suffered burns and scarring. Not surprisingly, many women also became pregnant. Now THAT is a scam! We cannot trust a manufacturer that has played loose and fast with consumer safety in the past.
Furthermore, Lysol is toxic to cats, as well as birds, reptiles and aquatic life. Do you really want your foot coming into contact with something that can kill a cat? We sure don’t. These harsh chemicals are not good for our environment.
Imagine it: once the Lysol is sprayed into a shoe, it is left to dry. However, as soon as the foot returns and walks around, the sweat re-moistens the chemicals, turning it into a foot bath of chemicals. Yuck!
Secondly, It’s Not Terribly Effective.
There is no doubt that Lysol kills bacteria on surfaces. There is no recommended medical use for it, though.
When asked directly in a forum whether Lysol would kill toenail fungus, the company plainly stated: “LYSOL Disinfectant Spray is not effective against Onychomycosis (toenail fungus).” There you have it, straight from the horse’s mouth!
“Of all the home remedies that we’re aware of, Lysol is not one of them,” according to the Nail Fungus Research Team. “They have a range of products that are all disinfectants of some kind or another but don’t believe they are in any way intended to eliminate nail fungus infections. Dermatophytes are fungal agents — and not bacteria or germs — so it seems like a stretch to suggest that Lysol products could help kill cases of nail fungus. ”
Fungal nail laser treatment is honestly the best and only way to truly eliminate nail fungus for good. Then, one must wait until the nail grows out to be truly cured. According to The Wall Street Journal, “Toenail laser treatment offers a new alternative to oral medication, which carries a risk of liver damage, and a nail lacquer, which has poor efficacy.”
Home Remedies For Fungus Nails: Why Not Use UVC To Prevent Recurrence?
Of course, costly laser foot fungus removal is only part of the solution. ”Patients and some doctors have this expectation that because it’s a laser treatment, once you zap it and its gone forever,” said Bryan C. Markinson from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.”That totally ignores the fact that this is an infectious disease and that recurrence is a certainty” unless good prevention measures are taken.”
One of these preventative measures involves using harmless UVC light to kill up to 99.9% of the harmful bacteria in our shoes. The SteriShoe® UV shoe sanitizer is our best defense against smelly, filthy shoes. If you’re going to shell out $1,000 on laser treatment for fungal nails, why wouldn’t you spend another $129 to ensure it doesn’t return?
UV light is so effective at killing up to 99.9% of harmful bacteria that hospitals use it to disinfect patients’ rooms. “When you use UV light, it goes everywhere in the room, not just where you use the cleaner. So it may provide a broader kill,” Toronto East General Hospital’s Dr. Jeff Powis told CTV News.
Contact us to learn more about our patented product today.