Rick Maina’s nightmare began when he stepped on a thumb tack in the garage. The 53-year-old said he wasn’t too worried at first. He treated it with antiseptic and went on with his life for the next month. Then, on Labor Day weekend, he wore a pair of flip-flops to the beach and noticed that his previously injured foot began to swell up. “I maybe picked up some bacteria in the sand, and that caused it to become infected,” he said. At the time, he had no idea that his Type 2 diabetes had caused nerve damage in his feet. This true story shows how diabetic foot infections can quickly spiral into serious trouble.