In laboratories, there are procedures in place to ensure that all hazardous chemicals are identified and handled by OSHA standards. Yet, there is not as much scrutiny at home, as we purchase all sorts of toxic and combustible products into our homes. We invite all sorts of chemicals into the home, such as Odor Eaters spray, without a second thought. But is it safe for our households?
Is Odor Eaters Spray A Fire Risk In The Home?
According to the Chemwatch Material Safety Data Sheet, Odor Eaters Foot Spray is considered “extremely flammable.” There is a risk of explosion if the spray can is held in a contained area with intense heat. For safety, they recommend keeping the product away from all sources of ignition.
- Floor Heaters
- Space Heaters
- Chlorine Bleach
- Faulty Electrical Wiring, and
Odor Eaters Foot Spray poses a “severe fire hazard.” There is a danger that, if heated, the canister will explode, causing pieces of metal to shoot everywhere. The chemicals contained inside may emit a toxic fumes upon combustion. This material should not be stored at temperatures above 120 degrees.
Does Odor Eaters Contain Toxic Chemicals?
Odor Eaters contains butane, which isn’t necessarily toxic, but should certainly be kept away from pets and small children, as it can be harmful when ingested or inhaled. Side effects of improper use include burning and red eyes, nausea, headaches, vomiting, coughing, sneezing and pain.
The active antifungal agent in Odor Eaters is tolnaftate. While tolnaftate is generally considered to be safe, it is banned for use in cosmetics in Canada. According to the Environmental Working Group, there are “moderate concerns of organ system toxicity” and “low concerns of ecotoxicology.”
One study found that the use of tolnaftate during pregnancy for 13 women resulted in four cases of cardiovascular malformations. “It is a signal for the potential teratogenic risk of tolnaftate,” researchers concluded, but more studies are needed. Clinical trials are currently underway to evaluate the safety and efficacy of tolnaftate in the treatment of foot fungus.
The Bottom Line About Odor Eaters Foot Spray:
If there is a better way, why wouldn’t you want to limit your exposure to flammable, potentially harmful chemicals? Rather than mask bad shoe odor and smelly feet with Odor Eaters spray, why not treat the real source of the stink instead? Foot and shoe odor is caused by a mixture of sweat and bad bacteria. SteriShoe uses UV light to kill up to 99.9% of the harmful microbes in your shoes, thus eliminating odorand sanitizing the shoe.